Undergraduate Be Change
Let curiosity move you to major or minor in environmental studies!
Your major in environmental studies will provide the knowledge and skills necessary to address environmental challenges facing our world while preparing you for an exciting career. You will examine the relationships between human behavior and the physical and biological world as well as policy development and application.
You will have core courses, collateral courses, and the option to pursue an emphasis area: Anthropology, Applied Climate Science, Biology, Chemistry, Communication Studies, Geography, Geology, Meteorology/Climatology, Natural Resources, Political Science, Psychology and Sociology
In the College of Arts and Sciences, we know experience is valuable and goes beyond the classroom. We strive to help you connect your academics with research, internships, education abroad, service learning and leadership experiences. Take advantage of opportunities in environmental studies such as:
- Studying abroad in Greece to learn about sustainability, the environment and society
- Serving as the Sustain UNL Club president
- Interning with the Nebraska Department of Natural Resources
- Researching the effects of drought on wheat growth in Nebraska
- Volunteering with Nebraska State Arboretum
All over the globe, there is a growing market for individuals who want to contribute to the ever-expanding green economy. Given the broad, interdisciplinary nature of the environmental studies major, students have the ability to pursue a wide range of environmental careers: sustainability, environmental quality, conservation, environmental education, public health and safety, environmental protection, public policy analysis, environmental consulting, natural resources management, green business or environmental law. Here are examples of recent graduates’ employment:
- Corps Member / MONTANA CONSERVATION CORPS
- Environmental Scientist / TERRACON CONSULTANTS, INC.
- Greenhouse Assistant / URBAN TRAIL GARDENS
- Land Steward / THE NATURE CONSERVANCY
- National Drought Mitigation Center / UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA-LINCOLN
- Plant Ecologist / PRAIRIE LEGACY INC.
- Project Coordinator / LINCOLN-LANCASTER COUNTY HEALTH DEPT
- Sustainability Associate / CLEANER GREENER LINCOLN
- Wildland Firefighter / UNITED STATES FOREST SERVICE
- Wildlife Technician / NEBRASKA INVASIVE SPECIES PROJECT